Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This is not a race

Wow, I wish I had more time to write. I have so much to say. The thoughts in my mind just never stop, it is like a constant stream that I can't shut it off.
Life is good, my grandparents took Aria bowling today and she got two spares and a strike! Grandpa teaches her to "hit the pocket!" and is an excellent bowling coach.
I started feeding Devin cereal about a week ago, mixing it with his milk of course. At first it helped and he slept great, now it seems like he wants to eat more and more. Last night he went to sleep at midnight and woke up at 4. We are beyond exhausted.
But we are happy .  .. we can't wait for a quiet night at home on Thursday night. Now that we are old we just want to stay home with the kids!

Last night Mike and I watched a show on the true story behind the movie "The Blind Side." If you don't know, the movie is a true story about a wealthy couple who took in a teenager who was in dire straights . . . well he could play football, and he played it well, and eventually he was a first round draft pick for the Baltimore Ravens. What a great story!
There was a segment on the show that talked about how some people are saying the movie perpetuates race stereotypes. That really bothered me . . . it made me think how often that happens. A great story is told and the two parties who are involved just happen to be of different races so that fact has to be analyzed over and over. Why? Why does it have to be about what color someone's skin is? Why can't it be just as simple as the fact that a family helped someone in need?
It is important to remember that segregation and racism existed in our history, because we learned from it. But it does us no good to seek out things like the fact that one person in the story was white and one was black and focus on that. So what if their skin was different colors? That is not the point. Isn't that, in a way, continuing the stereoypes?
I read something once that read something to the effect of . . . we will continue to try to get ahead of each other as long as we keep calling each other "races."
Sandra Bullock seems like a caring, intelligent person, and she was also affected by the accusations. So much so that she turned the premier party for the movie into a fundraiser, donating the money to aid a high school in, Memphis I believe.
I gotta say I have a lot of respect for her. . . when she was asked about what she thought of people accusing the movie of pushing race stereotypes she basically replied, "If that is all you get from this story you are missing the point."

1 comment:

  1. If it's not someone being racist, it's someone of a minority race crying "woah is me." I think those who always feel that they're picked on because of their color or try to find it in everything possible are just as bad, if not worse, as the racists.

    ReplyDelete